The Arduino IDE is a programming environment that allows you to easily upload your code to a connected Arduino board. You can install the Arduino IDE through the following steps:
1. Download the Arduino tarball from the official website
2. Go ahead and open up your terminal, and make sure you are in your home directory; You can do so by inputting the following:
3. The downloaded tarball should be located in ~/Downloads. Go ahead and input the following command:
You should see a screen similar to the one below:
At the time of this article, the version number is 1.8.13, however, you may see a different version number. The installation process, however, should remain the same.
4. While in the download directory, input the following:
tar -xf arduino-1.8.13-linux64.tar.xz
This command will extract a folder from the tarball: Go ahead and cd into the extracted directory like so:
5. While in the Arduino directory, input the following command:
and you should have a screen like so:
Congratulations! You should now have the Arduino IDE installed on your Ubuntu Shell™. You should be able to access the IDE from the application drawer:
Please sign in to leave a comment.